Table of Contents
Medical tourism, by its nature, is different from regular tourism. Concordantly, your needs and expectations from the trip are quite different. And all these reflect on your preparation before the trip. What will you need there, in a different country, before having a surgical procedure?
Make sure you can answer all questions regarding your trip. Find out you are ready to go. You should check your medical documentation before going to the airport. Do you have enough clothes, and are they suitable for your condition? Have you read something about the city of İzmir where you are about to head, and tried to learn a couple of words in Turkish that you can use in daily life?
In this article, we will focus on essential Items for gastric sleeve surgery, packing guide for a successful trip, Preparing your hospital bag, and must-have items for your stay in Turkey. You can also read about medications and prescriptions, and necessary documents that you should carry with you.
Essential Items for Gastric Sleeve Surgery: Packing Guide for a Successful Trip
Review your checklist a few days before going to the hospital, something you forgot will come up. One night of hospitalization is sufficient for most bariatric surgeries but be prepared to stay in the hospital for two nights just in case.
You can make a checklist like the one below to organize things better:
- Personal documents: Personal documents such as a passport and insurance card should be with you.
- Entertainment: Books, your cell phone, anything that keeps you busy and changes the atmosphere.
- Water spray: You will need a water spray as you can not drink water right after the surgical procedure for a couple of hours.
- Comfortable clothes: Underwear, sock, shorts, and any type of clothes that make you more comfortable after the operation.
- Toiletries: Shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.
Remember this list may change as your needs change, so check it again, right before the trip.
Preparing Your Hospital Bag: Must-Have Items for Your Stay in Turkey
If you are preparing for international travel for gastric sleeve surgery, you should also prepare a hospital bag containing the necessary materials for your stay. Some of the necessary materials you should prepare can be lined up as below:
- Medical Documents: Passport, appointment details, health insurance, test results, hospital and surgeon information, etc.
- Clothing: Comfortable clothes such as sweatpants and loose T-shirts, underwear, comfortable shoes, comfortable pajamas, slippers,
Bathrobes for navigating hospital corridors
- Personal toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.
- Essential Medicinal Ingredients: Bandages, antiseptics, gauze, if recommended by the surgeon, compression garments.
- Emergency contact numbers: Family member's contact information, Embassy number, etc.
- Nutritious food options: Your surgeon will make a list of healthy food as a part of your recovery. Keep the list with you and have a healthy diet.
New items can be added to the list or removed from it. Always consider new conditions and ask yourself if you need anything else.
Comfortable Clothing and Sleepwear: Choosing Appropriate Attire for Recovery
Comfortable clothing and sleepwear after gastric sleeve surgery are one of the important factors that you need for a short and quality recovery period. Consider these travel tips when choosing comfortable clothes and sleepwear for your recovery after sleeve gastrectomy surgery.
Loose Clothing: Choose loose clothing to avoid applying pressure to the surgical area. Get clothing that doesn't restrict your movement and provides you with relaxation.
Soft and Breathable Fabrics: Choose clothes made from soft, breathable fabrics such as cotton or bamboo.
Front Opening Tops: They make it easy to get dressed and undressed without disturbing the operation area.
Layering Options: Hospitals and recovery environments can vary in temperature, so consider bringing a lightweight jacket or cardigan that can be easily folded over your clothing for added warmth.
Personal Care Products: Hygiene Essentials to Include in Your Packing List
- As you will stay at a hospital, having personal care products and hygiene products are extremely important for your health and a quick and safe recovery after having a gastric sleeve surgical procedure.
- Bring your toothpaste and toothbrush with you, as well as your favorite soaps, liquid soap, and shampoo. Some of the other personal care and hygiene products you should take to the hospital with you can be lined up as below:
- Towels: Refreshing towels and paper towels will be helpful as they are single-use products that are very good for health protection.
- Cologne: Cologne is a traditionally used hygienic product in Turkey, you either bring it with you or can find it easily in a pharmacy or even in a supermarket.
- Feminine care products: If you are a female, it is crucial to bring all your personal hygiene products with you to the hospital.
- Cotton buds and eye drops: Your ears and eyes need sanitary care during your hospital stay. That will provide you with more comfort.
Medications and Prescriptions: Organizing Your Medication Needs for the Trip
If you are traveling as a health tourist and take prescription drugs, take care to regulate your medication and research issues such as the legal status of the drugs in the country you are traveling to.
Some of the tips for organizing your medication during the trips can be lined up as below:
- Use containers: If you are traveling and you run out of medicine, you can show the container to a pharmacist in the country you are traveling to and they can supply you with the same medicine.
- Prescriptions: If you are planning to travel to some other country as a medical tourist, you should talk to your doctor and ask them to write a written prescription that you can use in case you run out of medication.
- Use resealable bags: Use clear, resealable bags to pack each day's dosage separately. Make sure to include the medication name, dosage instructions, and the date and time to take each medication.
Necessary Documents and Identification: Important Paperwork to Carry with You
There are some issues that international patients should know when traveling to a country for a medical procedure. Take medical consultations, medical reports, and medical documents with you. These consultations, reports, and documents allow you and the medical professionals to understand your medical condition and treatment options.
Some other documents you should take with you are:
- Passport and visas: Needless to say, without identification, it is impossible to travel and go abroad as a health tourist. Make sure to keep them in a safe place.
- Prescriptions and medication information: Including your appointment documents for the hospital you will have a surgical procedure, all prescriptions, and other medication information.
- Travel documents: Hotel bookings, plane tickets, and other necessary travel documents.