Table of Contents
Breast augmentation has become popular, especially in the last decade. It’s a surgical procedure that includes the placement of breast implants to adjust and enhance the size and shape of the breasts. Some factors affect this process, and one of them is timing and duration time.
To be clear, breast implants are not designed for a lifetime. They last generally 10-20 years, but mostly they need to be changed after 10 years. When complications happened, the number of years can decrease.
In this article, we will start with the lifespan of the breast implants after breast augmentation surgery, then will continue with additional informants such as factors that affect the breast implants, signs for replacement, tips, etc.
What is the Lifespan of Breast Implants?
Before learning about the lifespan of breast implants, we should note that they are not designed for lifetime usage. And the lifespan depends on so many factors, we will take a look at them in the next title.
For the lifespan, we can say it’s between 10-15 years and 20 in some cases.
Factors that Affect the Longevity of Breast Implants
As mentioned in the previous title, we will learn about the factors that affect the longevity of breast implants. Here is a mini list:
- Type of implant: Generally, saline and silicone implants are used in breast augmentation surgeries. Saline implants can last between 10-15 years in general while silicon ones can last 15-20 years. The quality of the implant is important.
- Placement place: Placement place also affects the lifespan because of muscle movement.
- Individual factors such as weight loss or gain and pregnancy, etc. can affect the lifespan as well.
Signs that Breast Implants Need to be Replaced
We said some times may occur when breast implants need to be replaced even though the amount of time hasn’t passed yet. Here is a list of these signs:
- Pain and discomfort: These can be signs of complications that require changing.
- Change in appearance: If you realize changes such as asymmetry, it may be a sign.
- Time: If a certain amount of time has passed such as 10 years, they may need to be replaced. Therefore, following regular check-ups is essential.
Replacing Breast Implants: What to Expect
Replacement of breast implants requires additional surgery. You need to consult a plastic surgeon. They will look at your medical history, then will discuss goals and expectations especially if you’re unhappy with a previous breast implant.
The surgery method and steps likely won’t change as long as you don’t want to additional adjustments. You may experience the same things as in the first one.
Still, be careful about the process, and healing is needed.
Tips for Prolonging the Lifespan of Breast Implants
As mentioned several times, breast implants are not designed to last a lifetime; so you need to take care of them carefully to prolong their lifespan. Here is a tip guide:
- Following the surgeon’s instructions is essential: After the breast augmentation operation, you need to follow your surgeon's instructions and advice word by word.
- Stay away from smoking and excessive alcohol consumption: These factors can increase the complication risk.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Eating a healthy diet that is supported by exercising will help you to stay fit and keep your body shaped.