Table of Contents
Gastric sleeve surgery is an operation that aims to reduce weight by reducing the size of the stomach. The surgery begins the weight loss since it should be supported by a post-surgery diet, exercising, and more.
After the gastric sleeve surgery, you need to follow a post-surgery diet word by word. The diet will be specialized for you by your doctor. It has different phases to support the weight loss effect.
In this article, we will take a look at these mentioned phases and learn what they are, and what to do to achieve the best results for the post-surgery diet.
Soft and Easy-to-Digest Foods in the Initial Stage: First Few Weeks After Surgery
After having successful gastric sleeve surgery, you need to be careful about what you eat and drink. You should choose soft and easy-to-digest foods in the initial stage such as:
- Protein shakes: You can consult your doctor to choose the best protein shake but must be careful about the amount.
- Sugar-free puddings: They can be supplemental since they are easy to digest, but you have to stay away from sugar.
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt would be a good choice.
- Puree: Mashed foods and vegetables mix puree would be a good choice as well.
Gradual Progression to Solid Foods: Dietary Recommendations for Weeks 2-4
After 2-4 weeks, changing to solid foods progress starts in general. Still, you need to be careful what to eat and what solid foods you must avoid. Here are some food advice and tips to have a healthy post-surgery diet:
- You should stay away from spicy or highly seasoned foods along with fatty and oiled meats.
- You can eat the vegetables such as carrots, green beans, and potatoes in mashed form but stay away from eating them raw.
- You can start eating low-fat dairy products such as milk and cheese as well as yogurt, but stay away from high-fat and sugary ones.
Incorporating Protein-Rich Foods: Importance and Examples
In the previous titles, we mentioned protein-based food many times. But, why consuming protein is important in the post-surgery diet for gastric sleeve surgery patients?
First of all, protein helps to feel full while repairing muscle tissues and helping them to maintain healthy cells. Here are some examples of foods that are protein-rich:
- Protein bars and shakes include protein of course, but you should be careful about the ones that contain sugar and fat. They must be sugar and fat-free.
- Eggs and egg whites contain protein as well.
- Yogurt, cheese, and kinds of milk that are low-fat. You can check the product information to learn facts.
Balancing Macronutrient Intake: Tips for a Healthy Diet After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
To balance macronutrient intake after the post-surgery diet, you can follow these steps:
- Avid sugary drinks and foods: They can increase the risks of weight along with diabetes.
- Adjust your portions: You can create a schedule to add a post-surgery diet list, with your doctor’s pieces of bits of advice.
- Stay hydrated: You should consume water daily to support balance.
If you want to make changes, don’t forget to discuss them with your doctor.
Avoiding Certain Foods and Beverages: Post-Surgery Restrictions and Recommendations
To have and maintain a healthy post-surgery diet, you should avoid certain foods and beverages. You should avoid these and adjust your portions by staying away from large meals.
- First of all, you should avoid sugary and high-fat foods such as sugar, candy, chocolate, ice cream, junk food, etc.
- Raw vegetables, tough meats, and nuts can cause discomfort in the stomach.
- Alcohol and smoking can increase dehydration and decrease the effects of nutrients.
Long-Term Dietary Habits: Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Long-term dietary habits will fit in the time. But to maintain a healthy lifestyle after gastric sleeve surgery supported by a post-surgery diet, you can follow these steps:
- Continue taking an adequate amount of protein: Protein should stay in your long-term diet. You can choose the foods such as turkey, and chicken which are protein sources, and protein bars and shakes to have snack breaks.
- Vegetables should stay in the post-surgery diet since they can provide fibers, minerals, and vitamins to support the post-surgery diet. Still, you should away from the raw and tough ones.
- Supporting your diet with light exercises after a certain amount of time after gastric sleeve surgery would be good for your overall health.